Monday, April 13, 2015

3 Albums for Springtime

As you may have noticed, spring is here! The sun is out, the jumpers are off, and there's been a noticeable change in the kind of music I've been listening to lately. Here are three albums that never fail to make it feel like springtime:

Clap Your Hands Say Yeah by Clap Your Hands Say Yeah
If I associate an album with a particular time of year then, more often than not, it will be the time of year at which I originally bought that album. I picked up CYHSY's self-titled debut in March 2007, and since then, it's always reminded me of the clocks going forward and the sun coming out. Happily, it still sounds as fresh and as bonkers now as it did eight year (eight years!) ago.

Springiest Track: The Skin of My Yellow Country Teeth


"How can I keep me from moving? Now, I need a change of scenery"


Hello Land! by Guillemots
This one has a less subjective connection to springtime, in that it's literally a spring-themed album. The world is still waiting for the summer-themed follow-up, but at least we can enjoy these eight lovely tracks in the meantime.

Springiest Track: Up on the Ride

"Life, a gift you so often squander, is precious as it has always been"


Realism by The Magnetic Fields
Released in early 2010, this record accompanied many a walk around many a park in the second quarter of that year. The dulcimers and toy pianos sound wonderfully springtimey; so much so, in fact, that the presence of a song called Everything is One Big Christmas Tree does practically nothing to make Realism feel like any less of a spring album.

Springiest Track: We Are Having a Hootenanny

"Do-si-do down to our hoedown, our rootin'-tootin' hootenanny"

So those are my springtime picks - which albums do YOU like to listen to at this time of year?

No comments:

Post a Comment